In keeping with our commitment to offer the best health care services to our clients and their pets, we at Scottsville Animal Hospital are pleased to designate November as Senior Pet Health Care month. The health of your pet can rapidly change as he or she ages, and early intervention can lead to our pets living longer AND living better.
As our pets age, stress upon vital internal organs is likely to become more serious. Sources of chronic infection, such as tooth and gum disease, can adversely affect internal organs and contribute to failing health. Aging also increases the risk of arthritis, disc disease, and other skeletal problems. Many of these problems are readily detectable and can be controlled if diagnosed early and treated properly.
Components of Senior Health Care visit will be:
- Physical examination - The cornerstone of early disease detection.
- Complete Blood Count – The count of white and red blood cells, and also tests other components of blood.
- General Health Profile – An internal organ system check.
- T4 – Checks thyroid gland function.
- Urinalysis – Detects early signs of diabetes and kidney degeneration.
- Intestinal Parasite Exam -
- SDMA – A marker to detect early kidney disease.